Sunday, January 9, 2011

F$@^ your lame blog

So, after extensive research (and by extensive I mean a cursory browse on the "next blog" icon on the top of my page) I have discovered that there are blogs that are WAY cooler than mine!  Holy obsessed Batman!  I'm not sure if I'm ready to commit to the hours and hours of blogging, which by the way is not simply blogging, it seems to be yet another contest to see how many gimmicks you can possibly fit onto one web page.  Don't get me wrong, some of the blogs were really awesome, and I spent a little too long on some of them probably.  I have to say I did experience a twinge o' jealousy seeing some of the other profiles out there built by people who are far more eclectic and cool than I.  So, I suppose my question would be this; (since apparently changing my font colors isn't going to cut it) how do I create a cool blog?  I would love to be able to say that I am just writing blogs to write, (a minor motivation, since despite my obvious lack of talent I thoroughly enjoy it ;) ) but I confess, I would like some validation from the vast unknown internet populace.  I was excited to see that I had actually gotten some views, until I realized with crushing disappointment  (okay, maybe not crushing, but markedly present) they were all me going back to check out my page to try to figure out how to do anything.  At first I felt rejected and despondent, but then I realized that I wouldn't read my blog, and I forgave the faceless internet strangers.  So I guess maybe I have a choice, I can spend time, and apparently a lot of time jazzying and sexying up my page until I eventually reach enough hits that I'm approached by small businesses to do a little advertising, or I can continue to write my little heart out, and the cool kids out there in cyberspace with 10,000 followers can just be damned.  I wonder what comments I wont get would have said in response to this...

I did figure out two things in my "research" by the way

1.  I don't have to sign my name at the end of each blog, I'm too cool for that now
2.  I don't know what an RSS is, but it's apparently of vital importance

4 comments:

  1. Haha. This made me laugh. I just randomly decided today to start a blog. God only knows why.... but yeah.. I feel like everyone is showing me up. Eh, maybe it'll be therapeutic somehow. Or at least kill some hours at work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My advice? Just write. Write whatever the hell you want. Most people couldn't give shit one about what your blog LOOKS like, as long as what you write engages them. Makes them laugh. Makes them cry. Hell, makes them PUKE...it's the connection that counts! So far? I like your style. I'm follower #3!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And hey...with only 2 posts going for ya, you have won an award over at Glitter Frog. Do you know how unheard of that is? Yeah, me neither. Come get your award.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My advice is like vickie's just write. Choose a background and font that you like for now and trust me you'll start changing it up like some of us change our hair color. it will take time but you'll get around to it. We all do. *grin* Just for the love of Pete (whoever he is) stay away from the 'advanced' option on the design page!!! You'll find yourself losing hours trying to get it all 'just right'. Ask me how I know.....

    ReplyDelete